Spectrum Postmaster Services
Spam is unsolicited email that typically contains a link or file attachment that can compromise security or infect computers with malicious software.
Protection Against Spam
We use several different methods to protect customers from email spam and other unwanted messages:
- Security Suite Spam Filtering: Security Suite blocks spam and phishing emails, and will scan message attachments you attempt to download. To ensure your protection, don't open emails or message attachments from an unknown source. If a message is determined to be spam, it will be sent to the Spam or Junk folder of your email account. An email message won't be delivered if a virus is detected. Learn more.
- Flagging Emails as Spam: If you receive a suspicious email, Mark As Spam so that it can be blocked in the future.
- Rate Limiting: Spectrum customers can only send a limited number of emails per hour, and can include only a set number of recipients per message. This reduces spam and helps ensure mail system stability and usability for all customers.
- Real-time Blacklist (RBL): Used to keep track of customers that are known to have been spammers and violated the Terms of Service. This is also used to block inbound mail sent from spammers with an IP address on an RBL.
Unable to Send or Receive Email Due to Spam Filter
Spectrum customers with compromised or infected computers who are broadcasting outbound spam or virus-infected email won't be able to send email messages and will receive an error 554 Email Security Alert.
To resolve this issue:
- Send the original blocked email to firstname.lastname@example.org, in one of two ways:
- Resend the original email to the original recipient 48 hours later as a test.
- If you're still experiencing this issue, contact us.
Removing Email from the Spam Folder
If an email message was incorrectly identified as spam, you can remove it from your spam folder:
- Open your Spam folder and choose the email you'd like to remove.
- Select Move from the options listed at the top of the email.
- Using the dropdown menu, designate which folder you would like to move the email to, then select Move.
- You can also select Mark As, then Not Spam, to avoid having the email sent to the spam folder in the future.