Charter Cloud Drive
Charter Cloud Drive is an online service that allows users to automatically backup and share important files like photos, videos, and music safely and securely. Because files are stored online, users can access them from any internet connection or share them with friends and family. You can only access Charter Cloud Drive with your Charter.net Head of Household email address and password.
At Charter, we continuously evaluate our offerings to ensure we offer you the best products at a great value. Effective February 7, 2013, we are no longer accepting new Charter Cloud Drive customers. However, we will continue to support existing Charter Cloud Drive customers who have posted files to Cloud Drive. Please click on the links below for Cloud Drive information and troubleshooting tips.
- Your important files and documents can be scheduled for automatic back up.
- Backup should be used as an archive for files that need to be safely stored - but aren't accessed regularly.
- Backup files on any computer where Cloud Drive Backup software is installed.
- Upload times may vary, depending on the available bandwidth and the size of the file being uploaded. Faster bandwidth speeds will result in faster upload and download performance.
- Easily share folders and files with friends and family.
- Control your shared files:
- Set an expiration date on shared files to control.
- Address book - view and manage contacts and their associated sharing settings.
- Share full resolution pictures - Charter Cloud Drive will not reduce the resolution of your uploaded photos.
- You can easily drag and drop files directly from your desktop using https://clouddrive.charter.net/ .
- Charter Cloud Drive is still active for our customers who place their services on vacation.
- Windows - Compatible with Windows XP or higher.
- Mac - MacOS X version 10.5 or higher.
- PowerPC processors are not supported.
- iPad - OS 4.3 or higher.
Charter Cloud Drive is SAS70 Compliant. SAS70 is a widely recognized auditing standard developed by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for the operation of data centers. It is used by auditors to ensure compliance with standards that cover: physical security, fire suppression systems and power systems, heating and cooling systems and in generally the overall integrity of the center. The standard is used by potential customers and owners to evaluate the integrity of a data center. If a data center is SAS70 certified, the user can know that the center has been evaluated against a set of standards recognized by the industry.
All customer data is triple mirrored. Charter Cloud Drive retains three copies of all data that enters the system. So three different instances of the data exist on the platform - if a disk is lost for some reason, or a disk is damaged, defective, etc. it has been backed up three times. Data is replicated instantaneously (as soon as it is ingested) - therefore there is never a point in time there are not three copies of all data.
If you upload a file with a virus to the Charter Cloud Drive:
It will be uploaded to Cloud Drive, however the virus will not affect the Cloud Drive in any way.
Additionally, the main login site is a secured site (https) that uses standard 128-bit encryption. When the data is in flight it is transferred through SSL at 128 bit (same level of security as online banking). At rest the data is scrambled so it is unreadable or manipulatable if attacked from an outside threat.
Once logged into the Charter Cloud Drive website, you can download and install the Charter Cloud Drive Desktop software.
- Click the Software link in the upper right section of the web page.
- Click the Download button to begin the download process.
- Save and then run the downloaded file.
- After running the downloaded software, the installation process will begin.
Below are the steps for restricting access to the Backup App to only users who have administrative access or know the admin password. This is the same process as all other windows apps:
- Navigate to the application executable (Where you installed the application.)
- Next, right-click on the application executable you want to restrict access to. In this case select the file 'OnlineBackup.SyncNShare.exe' and select Properties from the right-click menu.
- Select the Compatibility tab from the Properties window.
- Finally, select the Change settings for all users button, and in the Privilege Level section select the checkbox for Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply and/or OK in Compatibility and Properties windows, and from there the PC Backup app can be run. Vault Explorer is a little different. Since VE is a 'Drive' the only sure-fire way to secure your account so that other users on the machine can't access it is to treat it like an email account on a shared computer; don't store your credentials in the application, and log out when you're done using it.
Windows User Information
The following applications are available for Windows Operating System.
- Charter Cloud Drive Backup for Windows allows you to select files or entire directories on your computer to backup and sync files to the online storage space. In addition to choosing what files are backed up, you can also set the frequency of the backup to daily, hourly, or manually.
- Charter Cloud Drive Navigator allows you to access your online storage like a local hard disk. You can drag and drop to Charter Cloud Drive Navigator folder in Windows Explorer. You can also share files directly from your desktop using Navigator.
Mac Operating Information
Charter Cloud Drive Backup for Mac allows you to select files or entire directories on your home computer to backup and sync files to your online storage space. In addition to choosing what files are backed up, you can also set the frequency of the backup to daily, hourly or manually.
Online Files Space
The Online Files space of Charter Cloud Drive provides you with unlimited space to store, organize and share your files. Files can be organized into folders, moved to other folders, and downloaded from the Charter Cloud Drive to your personal computer.
The Upload Files icon allows you to add files including photos or music to Charter Cloud Drive.
You can upload files to your Charter Cloud Drive by following the steps below:
- From the Online Files Space, click on the Upload Files button.
- In the Upload Files window, click the Select Files button and select the files to upload.
- After selecting the files to upload, click the Upload button and the files are uploaded to the Charter Cloud Drive.
- The new file(s) appear in the Online Files space.
- Files are not compressed when uploaded to the cloud. You can upload .zip files.
- The speed of upload depends on the upload speed of your Internet service tier.
You can share files by following the steps below:
- Place a checkmark next to the file(s) you want to share.
- Click the share link on the top bar.
- From the Share Items window, select who the file is shared with from the address book or by email address. You can also set how long the file is shared and permissions for the file.
The Backups space on Charter Cloud Drive is where backed up files from the Desktop Software are stored. Once in the Backups space, these files can be organized, downloaded and shared. Files located in the Online Files and Backups spaces can be played (media files), added to a Lightbox, downloaded, moved, copied, and deleted by placing a checkmark next to the file and clicking on the appropriate link on the top bar.
- You can select which files you want to backup, how often to backup, and when the backup should occur.
Recycle Bin Space
The Recycle Bin space contains files that are deleted from the Backups and Online Files spaces of Charter Cloud Drive. Once a file is in the Recycle Bin, you can restore the file to its original location, download a copy of the file, or permanently delete it from Charter Cloud Drive.
- After placing a checkmark next to the file(s), click on the appropriate link in the top bar to perform the desired action.
Documents that get deleted will go directly to the recycle bin and will stay there for 30 days. After 30 days, the document is completely deleted.
The Address Book contains contacts with which you can share files. You can only share files with contacts in the Address Book. The contact you want to share with should be in the contacts list prior to attempting to share the file. You can add contacts to the address book by entering a contact name and email address or by importing a .csv file created from Outlook or another email client.
You can add contacts to the Charter Cloud Drive Address Book by following these steps:
- From the Home Screen, click on the Address Book link at the top of the page or the Browse Address Book link on the left side of the page.
- Click the Add Contact button on the upper right side of the screen.
- Add contacts to the address book using the popup screen.
- Add Contact tab contacts are added one at a time using first name, last name and email address.
- Import Contacts tab Contacts are added to the address book by importing a .csv file.
LightBox is a unique space on Charter Cloud Drive designed to provide extra sharing features for media files. From this space, your music, picture, and video files can be played, shared and organized providing easy access to your content.
If you upload any M4p music file, it will not be encoded and not play within the built-in media player, as this file type is protected. It will still be uploaded to the vault and you can still share this file but anyone who downloads it cannot play it because it is protected. You can upload M4a files and play them with no issues. Regarding MP3 music files, there is no way for anyone to determine which files are protected and not protected as these are a mix of both types. A person who uploads an M4p or protected MP3 music file and checks the box next to it will not have the option to click the play button.
You can access Charter Cloud Drive using your mobile device by navigating to https://clouddrive.charter.net/mobile and entering your Charter.net Head of Household email address and password. Note: Passwords cannot contain any special characters.
Currently, Charter Cloud Drive does not allow the ability to backup and share directly from a smart phone; however, you can access your cloud Drive from a smart phone.
You can access Charter Cloud Drive using your mobile device by navigating to https://clouddrive.charter.net/mobile . You must use your Charter.net Head of Household email address when accessing your Cloud Drive account.
Can't Log In
- Verify you are using your Charter.net Head of Household email address when accessing your Cloud Drive account.
- Verify that your CAPS lock and Number lock are off.
- Try to Sign In to email on charter.net and, if prompted, Retrieve Your Username or Reset Your Password.
- If you still can't log in to Cloud Drive, please Contact Us for more help.